Tuesday, July 31, 2012

How To Restore Your Bicycle: Part 3-Re assembly

Now that we got the rust off, it's time to put it back together.

I first want to apologize that I have been behind on my recent activities in regards to this restoration. The frame has arrived back from powder coating, as well as a few parts that I have ordered online. I like to make the best use of my time, so I started putting the bike back together as I wait for the last few pieces that I ordered. 

This cruiser is a little more complicated in that it is geared and comes equipped with a drum brake. Some restorations take longer than others, and because of the wait time in receiving parts this restoration will probably take a little more than a month to complete. 


Here's a few pictures of what the bike looks like as of today. Still a work in progress, but finally starting to take it's true form.

Coming Together: The frame finally arrived from powder coating, so it's time to start re assembly.
Pedal to the metal: The powder coated frame and pedals really brings out the shine.

I replaced the springer fork with this replica
If you happen to be restoring a cruiser similiar to this, keep in mind the following tips which will make putting the bike back together a whole lot easier.

- The non-geared side is reverse threaded. Remove all the hardware from this side of the bike, and simply slide the crank arm out of the bottom bracket through the opposite end. Slide the crank arm in through the geared side when reinstalling it.

- Bottom bracket bearings will always face with the ball ends towards the frame, against the cups of the bottom bracket. Never install these facing outward, this will cause the bearings to break and failure of the bottom bracket assembly.

- Steering tube bearings always face with the ball ends upward. The bottom steering tube bearing will have the ball end against the bottom of the steering tube and the top bearing will have the ball end against the crown of the threaded fork.

These are some tips, so far, that I can include if you're this far into your own restoration. In the coming weeks I will post some final pictures of the finished product and some more tips on putting the bike back together along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment